Thursday 11 November 2010

Slip Casting

So far I've only put my print making stuff on here. Now it's time for a bit of my ceramics.


The first project this year is to do with slip casting and mould making. Our brief for this produce 2 interlocking forms, one larger than the other, based on one of four themes. I chose plant life. Using leaf and bud forms and abstracting them I came up with this idea...


So yeah, I love this idea, however figuring out the logistics of the moulds has been a little complicated (which way to cast what and how many mould parts etc...).



I started off with the inner form without the sloping top. To do this I set a big chunk of plaster on a profile bat, made templates for the top and bottom, marking it on in indelible pencil, and sat there all of today carving away at it... took a while but I've got a nice smooth model now!

All soft soaped up ready to cast over next week! What a productive day =]



3 comments:

  1. Mike this work is really productive and I love the commentary explaining what you are doing :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Looking good! Like the commentary! :) AW

    ReplyDelete