Saturday 12 March 2011

Ceramic Art London 2011

The Friday before I went to Berlin, I went with uni to see Ceramic Art London. I had such an inspiring time and was in awe of some of the work there. I came back wanting to just go into the studio and try out various things.
Here's a few pictures...


Sasha Wardell - Slip cast fine bone china (she taught us slip casting, was really nice to see her there!)


Valéria Nascimento - porcelain forms inpired by the natural world.

Nuala O'Donovan - sculptural ceramics that combines regular patter with characteristics found in nature. I loved this work and it looks even more stunning in the flesh.

Lesley Risby - her work examines the essence of fragility and vulnerability using stained porcelain and nichrome wire. I loved the fineness of the porcelain and how fragile it seemed, a quality I want to pursue.

Lara Scobie - her work is based on the relationship between form and pattern. I love the material she has cast these items from, its called Parian. I had a nice chat to her about it. Its a self-glazing casting slip that gives a lovely fine and slightly textured surface. I want to look into making some Parian to try some casts from as they has such a beautiful quality about them.

Fenella Elms - this persons work was more than amazing. She makes each little piece and fits them together into these seas of small fragments. Apprently, when talking to her, she said that she never plans what it will look like and just lets the pieces determine the overall. You have to see one in the flesh to see really how beautiful they are.

Claire Loder - these quirky heads are the work of my tutor Claire. The more I look at them the more I like them, they have so much character. Was really good to see her there too!

I'm not quite sure who these were by, they were in the student exhibition space downstairs, however I loved them. Little cast cupcake wrappers.

As you can see there was so much stunning work there and these pictures are but a fragment of it all. I think my new aim is to be in CAL in the future... best get working really hadn't I!

No comments:

Post a Comment